Storybook Favorites

     



A Story Coming to Life. Source: Pixabay.

    As I looked at the titles of various stories, I found a few that caught my eye! I gravitated towards stories that mentioned things that I have heard about because I was interested to see how people would elaborate on them. I love how creative many of the students were!


Friends of Oz

    This storybook talks about the well-known characters from The Wizard of Oz, the Lion, the Tin Man, and the Scarecrow. I am a little bit familiar with the movie although it has been quite a while since I have last seen it. However, I thought the title of the storybook was fitting. When I read the title, I was automatically able to recognize what the story was going to talk about. The introduction to the story was great because it built up the idea that the reader would soon understand how the different characters are identified with different traits. The author also gives us background information on how the Lion, the Tin Man, and the Scarecrow all met. I thought it was very creative to give some back story to the movie and it was very intriguing. The layout of all the pages was easy to follow, and the story was a super easy read. The images represented the characters very well and matched perfectly with the text that was written below them. I really like the flow of the various stories in the storybook. The author also provided authors notes, which added to the storybook as well. I really loved the background information!


Ghost stories of OU

    This spooky storybook is something that I was not familiar with at all. Obviously, I'm familiar with the University of Oklahoma but hadn't heard of any possible ghost stories on campus. The title made me very interested in reading the storybook to hear of the possible ghosts that roam campus during the night and did a good job of alluding to the contents of the storybook. The introduction gives a little bit of information about each of the stories that get touched on. It describes how some stories are from different accounts and are from eyewitnesses. It gave just enough information to make me interested in reading more without spoiling what was to come. I love the word choice in the introduction such as statements like, "keep reading if you dare." These remarks made the stories more entertaining and built up the suspense. The physical layout of the pages overall was great. After the introduction, the stories follow and come with detailed descriptions of the various witness accounts. I really liked how the pictures go right along with the places/scenes the author is mentioning. 


Tarzan and Jane's School for Feral Children

    The last storybook was a wonderful take on a classic tale. I am familiar with the movie, Tarzan. The title was very descriptive and did a good job of letting the reader know what the storybook would be about. The introduction of the storybook was well thought out. It begins with Jane speaking and talking about the school and the different backgrounds of the classmates. Tarzan even speaks a few words giving some insight into his story growing up. The introduction definitely made me want to read further to learn about the backgrounds of the various classmates. I really enjoyed how creative the author was with the idea of taking children from different places and helping to teach them vital skills such as math as well as being able to learn about others. The physical layout of the pages works great! Unlike the other storybooks, this author had a drop-down menu to the descriptions of the backgrounds of the children. This is easy to navigate! I also loved the use of images in order to visualize the classmates and better understand their origins.

Comments

Popular Posts